Wednesday, September 18, 2013

kindergarten

That's right, he's done it. He's gone and entered Kindergarten.

Porter's doing awesome. His teacher has been quite impressed with his ability to read. He's such a smart kid who loves books and recess and books and making friends... and a few more books.

I figured I would have my boys write what school year they are entering into and I'll take another picture on the last day of the school year to compare their writing. Forgive the spelling... that was his momma's fault... I do know how to spell kindergarten, but a lack of sleep will change your ability to spell properly. I realized too late my mistake because he was already coloring his rainbow...and with how meticulous this boy is, I wasn't about to make him start over!

Porter's teacher is so sweet and so patient. She's a great fit for Porter. She's also been doing this for years and years and she has come highly recommended.

I walked him into class and helped him find his name badge and his chair.
He sat down and suddenly he looked huge.
I couldn't believe how quickly he had grown.
I held it together pretty well until I waved goodbye. He turned, waved, and with a slight quiver in his voice he said, "I love you, Mom" I told him I loved him too and that he would have so much fun. I told him I would be back to pick him up.

And I turned around and cried.

At the end of the day I went to pick him up. I poked my head in his classroom and he was standing by his teacher. He caught my eye, but pretended not to see me. I tried to call to him to come on out, but he kept looking out the corner of his eye at me and then I heard him asking his teacher, "When is the bus coming to get me? Where's my bus?"

I finally had to go into class to get him, he was determined that he was going to ride a bus home. We talked about it and I explained that if he climbed on a bus that it wouldn't take him anywhere near our home, and he would be lost. He seemed okay with that answer. Then my sweet neighbor (who was there picking up her kids) told Porter that he would ride buses when he went on field trips. He was ecstatic.

When he had finally come to grips with the bus thing, he sat down and told me all about his day.
He did great.
He loved it.
I knew he would.
It was a good first day, and he's loving school. I'm so proud of this little guy.

3 comments:

Moab Cozzens said...

YAY! I have been so worried about all these little boys and their new beginnings in school. I'm so glad Porter is doing well, but I knew he would. He's just such a great kid!!!

Angie said...

HUGE!
He's absolutely HUGE!
And handsome.
Good for him and his new adventure.

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

I cried the first day of kindergarten, the last day of Kindergarten, the first day of first grade... And I cry just reading about other people's first day experiences. Porter is such a sweet kid, I'm so glad he's having a good time! Love him!