Monday, August 24, 2009

moving on... and a little south

Ever since my two car accidents, I haven't been the same.
I don't drive well in any kind of weather that involves wetness in any way... snow, rain, hail, slush, spit, etc.

So, me driving in anything less than a bright sunny day ends up the same way.

Me crying and shaking all the way to or from work while singing, "Press Forward Saints" at the top of my lungs and praying that I will make it home to see my babies again. (I've done it without the singing once, but all too quickly I found that if I don't sing, I forget to breathe and come very close to passing out. Apparently I do the opposite of hyperventilating when I panic. Oh, and I don't know why it's always "Press Forward Saints" but it always is.) Then it takes about another hour at work for me to calm down and the shaking to subside. It's not good. I think I may actually understand what a phobia really is. I have a phobia of driving in any kind of weather that is less than perfect. Is there a term for that?

Anyhow, then I started thinking, if the summer storms were scaring me that badly... how was I going to do with the winter storms. The 45 minutes of pure terror wasn't going to be worth it. So, I came up with the only solution that made sense. Then Kyle explained the numerous reasons as to why I shouldn't try to get my driver's license permanently revoked and walk everywhere for the rest of my life, and I was back to square one.

But one thing was for sure.

me + no daily drive in emotional turmoil = happy me.

So, we came up with a plan... a brilliant plan.
We would move.
And we did.
This past week.
So, I'm in my new house and I'm 35 minutes closer to work.

Our new home is great. There are things that we will and do miss about our old home, in fact it makes me cry thinking that we left the house where we made so many memories. Porter learned to crawl, walk and talk in that home. Bridger was born while we were living there. It's a house I won't forget. I love our old little home.
But, the new home is great too, and I'm excited for the memories we get to make here. Not to mention the fact that I don't have to make such a scary drive this winter.

I have so much to post and so many pictures to edit (and so many clothes to fold and boxes to unpack and so on and so forth). But, for now I will leave you with pictures of our first night here.

Porter and Bridger love that we have carpet. Porter rolled around on it for about the first hour that we were here. And Bridger sure appreciates having something softer to land on while he's working on his balance.
It's gonna be good. I can tell.

I'm grateful for a caring and loving husband who understands my needs and my fears and takes action.

He's a good man that I married.

Thanks sweets.

5 comments:

Amy said...

But what about the huge orange wall! I will miss the orange wall. OK I never really saw the orange wall, and I'm pretty sure it's not even orange anymore since you're cool enough to paint your walls....but that's what I remember about your old house. That and the cool yard. And the baby in the dead dryer. Oh I'm gonna miss the old house too!

HOWEVER good for you! Yay for close to work (sorry about the horror of driving) and new house and moving and change and all the good that comes with it! That is all fantastic news and I can't wait to see the new place and the new memories. Congrats!

Amy said...

whoa. long comment. I should really just e-mail you things like that. Sorry.

Gramma M said...

Yay...Gramma feels better about the drive too. Not too crazy about the creepy-crawlys, but I rather you deal with those!!

Moab Cozzens said...

AND if you think about it, Kyle has school only two days per week and you work three, so by the law of averages you SHOULD live closer to where you work. Love your new place and hope you get to stay there for a long while.

Moab Cozzens said...

Oh, by the way, Jill has my copy of The Undaunted. Borrow it from her when she's done!