Thursday, October 20, 2011

the house

It seems kind of silly posting this now because so many things have already changed about the house, but I feel weird trying to post newer things without ever posting pictures of our home... so without further adieu here it is... right after we moved in. (sorry about the poor quality of some of the photos... they are pretty much straight out of the camera)
 Our front door has now been sanded down and repainted... no worries, it's still red, but this is a fuschia/red, and we painted it a brick red... looked better with the bricks.
 The front entry/front room. Don't know what the weird balcony is for, or really what we're going to do with it. We think we might blast through the wall behind it (it's the master closet behind the balcony) and make a huge walk in, or maybe wall off the portion that has the railing and turn it into a reading nook... so many possibilities. Also, the paint on the lower half of the wall is no longer lavender, it's a beautiful gray. And the stairs are no longer the gross carpet, they have been replaced with oak stairs... so pretty.
 Another view of the weird balcony... still thinking of what to do here...
 Surprise! Our master bedroom wall. When we walked through (both initial and final) there was an enormous headboard that covered up the lower color. We thought the whole wall was the dark purple. Then when we moved in, we found out that wasn't true. This wall will be painted soon. I have the grayish-blue paint all ready to go... I think the lady who owned the house before liked purple.
 Our master bathroom. Large soaking tub...mmmm. Love it. The walls are kind of silvery... and they can stay like that for now.
 One of our master closets. I love the built-ins. All the closets (except for one in the office) have built-ins... the amount of storage in this house is incredible.
 Boys bathroom. Also purple. Also to be painted.
 Boys bedroom. It is painted. It's a darker gray-blue. It was the one request that Porter had of our new house. He wanted a blue bedroom and it was one of the first things that got painted in the house.
 The view from the boys bedroom is incredible. Both of the mountains, and of our backyard.

Upstairs hallway/linen closet... it's huge, and they left us a ton of paint.

Apparently New Orchid was their favorite... we have 3 paint cans of it... so if any of you love the lavendar look, let me know. I've got a gift for you.
The view from the balcony. You can see the purple walls a little better in this shot, and I love my plantation shutters on the front window.

View from the stairs to the kitchen.


 I thought the kitchen was a little small, but as it turns out, it has a really good flow for cooking. I've got some good ideas for this room in the future.
 Heading downstairs from the kitchen/dining room.... oh, and although I didn't show a picture of the dining room, I promise you, it used to be purple. These stairs have the carpet ripped off them now and I'm just waiting for Kyle to finish the oak treads for these stairs.
 The wood stove... part of what sold us on this house. I love the wood burning stove. It cuts down on gas bills like you can't believe and I love the idea of roasting marshmallows in my own basement!

Two windows that look out onto our back patio.
 3rd bathroom and our guest room/craft. I don't know why, but I didn't take pictures of the cool ceiling texture they did in the guest room. I'll take them some other time. After all, we're going to be here a while!
 View from the stove. Three walls of this room are brick.

 So much storage. This basement room is either going to be a playroom or storage room or a 5th bedroom if we need it. It also contains the only window that is below grade in the house. That door there is under the stairs and has a huge closet with built ins.

Same with these closets. built-ins galore.

 And the view from our side yard. I love how close we are to the moutains.
We have so many projects in the works, but I love our house. I love the yard, I love having a home of our own. We couldn't have asked for a nicer ward or neighbors.
We love it here.

7 comments:

Kimbrey-Daniel said...

Love it. Can't wait to see all the improvement that make it "your" place.

Meghan said...

It looks awesome! I am so happy for you. We should get together sometime and catch up!

Amy said...

You owe me a new keyboard on accounta a just shorted mine out drooling all over it. I love your yard. Love it. I can't wait to see all the new decorated beautifulness!

Jessica said...

It's so beautiful! And I think you should make your weird balcony into a book nook, complete with book shelves. (A current obsession of mine!) :)

Chelle said...

Meghan, we really should get together, I can't remember the last time we saw each other.

Moab Cozzens said...

I really laughed about the HUGE amount of purple paint they left you. Until I got a little braver, we bought Navajo White paint by the 5 gal bucket :)

Whitehead Family Fun said...

I love it. Congrats on the house. I'm sure you guys will do amazing things with it.