Wednesday, October 2, 2013

raising boys... a glimpse into my future.

We were coming home from a lovely drive and hike to the grotto. As Kyle backed into the driveway, I was scanning through photos from our hike when I looked up and I saw this at the end of our street.
 I could not stop laughing... do you want a closer view?
Here we have two of my neighbors sons. One is riding the bike which is connected to a wagon by a very long rope. The wagon contains a plastic trash can, pillows, blankets and his helmet-clad brother.
Believe it or not, the older boy is the one in the trash can.

Oh, and that's Porter running as fast as he can to see when he can have a turn.

As the boys slowly walked the bike towards me and I started to joke around with them about their brilliant idea, they informed me that I had missed the best part.

The street behind them there is a straight road that does not dead end, but turns into a U shape at the end and curves around to make another back street. They would start at the top of the U and the one on the bike would get going as fast as possible so that when he took the quick turn at the U bend, it would abruptly yank the wagon onto its side and throw the trash can (and his brother) hurtling through the air and across the asphalt.
As long as you wore a helmet (and packed the blankets tightly around you), "You can't get hurt!" they pronounced.

I praised them for the helmet part.

I laughed for a while until I realized that I was looking at my future boys. My boys are also creative little daredevils... so I'm betting it's only a matter of time before my boys come up with something like this.

The rest of the night all I could think of was Brian Regan shouting, "Get some leaves!"

2 comments:

GrammaM said...

Yikes...leaves and bandages and ibuprofen!

Angie said...

That.
Is.
Awesome.

I pray that these (and your) boys make it to adulthood.