Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Kari said it would happen...

Kari said it would happen. She warned me not to help it along because it would happen soon enough, and she was right.

For the past 4 days Porter has been rolling onto his side and struggling to roll onto his stomach. I don’t know why, but yesterday he was determined to make it happen. Any time I laid him down on the floor he was immediately turning onto his side and trying to roll-over. I have never seen such dedication in such a small human being. For some reason I always thought that when babies roll-over for their first time that it was some kind of accident.

Porter’s was no accident.
Yesterday morning, Angie and I were hanging out when Porter got so close to rolling over from his back to his stomach… if only that darn second arm weren’t in the way he would have had it. So, after his very long struggle, I laid him on his stomach to see if he would roll from his tummy to his back. Within seconds he made his move, and found himself face-up. He acted as though this were a piece of cake, looking at me as if to say, “Of course I can do it that way silly woman.” I became ecstatic and immediately put him back on his belly. He did not remain there long, however, as he rolled for the second time (I have proof on video for those who do not believe!)
Then, later in the evening with both Kyle and I at home he did the unthinkable. Porter rolled over the other way. He was so dedicated to roll onto his tummy. He worked at it for so long before he succeeded. When he made it the first time, I left him there to bask in his success (for a few minutes anyway). But when I rolled him back over to give him the chance to do it again he got mad. I had just undone everything he had worked for. He didn’t do it again last night, but this morning I have enjoyed watching turn number 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. He is now getting the idea of rolling back and forth. I can’t believe how quickly he is growing up. What a smart kid.
So last night it happened… just as Kari said it would…he became mobile.
Before, during and after.

1 comment:

Moab Cozzens said...

Yea Porter!! Such determination in a little boy. He's growing up so fast . . .