Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Ever useful little suckers...

I, like my sister-in-law Jill, do not like pacifiers on little children past a certain age (that age has not quite been determined, but I do know that Porter isn't at it yet). It really bothers me when I see toddlers running around with pacifiers in their mouths, and I know that very soon it will come time to part from the ever useful sucker (as we prefer to call them in our house).

This, I believe, is going to be the thing I miss most however about the pacifiers; I can put the sucker in his mouth and nothing else will make it past.

For example, Porter loves to play in the dirt in our backyard. He also loves to eat the dirt that's in our backyard (and leaves, and sticks and rocks, and well ... you get the idea). His mother however, does not like him eating such things, and as a result has started using the sucker as a way to prevent the not so edible things from entering Porter's mouth. This is Porter, helping Daddy garden, and look at that face. I don't even want to tell you the things that were shoved in there prior to taking this picture, but I will tell you that I have seen things go in that I would not allow on the bottom of my shoe.

But, now with our handy-dandy pacifier, Porter can play with dirt and leaves, none of which touch his lips! Mommy isn't so overbearing when it's in place and she will allow Porter to get as messy as he wants!He can play with his favorite tool, the trowel and never get the dirty thing in his mouth. (The trowel is his favorite, do to the smiling boy that looks back at him while he plays with it! He giggles when the little boy smiles at him, it's really cute.)But soon, it will have to go. It doesn't do any good anymore at keeping him quiet when he shouldn't be loud (ie. church). He actually can babble ... very loudly ... with it in his mouth. It still helps him settle down for bed, but he's pretty good at just going down when he's tired anyway. I know that the time is coming quickly, but I will be a little sad to see it go.

4 comments:

Moab Cozzens said...

Cute little sucker!! I say make life as easy on everyone you can for as long as you can. Did Kyle ever tell you about the time his tongue got stung by a red ant because he tried to eat it? Yes, it's true. A pacifier might have prevented that episode in history that I, as the guilty Mom, would prefer to forget!

Karen said...

Ethan like a pacifier when he was little, little, but soon found his thumb. I totally agree with you on the whole at a certain age take it away from them. I really hate seeing a toddler walking around the store and talking to Mom with a pacifier in the mouth. Yuck! Any idea on how to get Ethan to not put dirt in his mouth? Must be a boy thing!

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

Oh, he's still at the point where it's cute in his little face. I know what you mean though, I am scared of when we have to make Aiden part with the rag! It'll be a little sad as it is kind of a little part of him and that just means he has to grow up.

Kari said...

You might be surprised at how old Porter can get and have the pacifier still be cute--especially when it has such great uses, like preventing between meal snacks.
I really thought that we'd have Jack over the sock-and-two-fingers thing by now, but it comforts him like nothing else does and I can't figure out what to replace it with. That, and it makes him still my little boy.
Luckily, you are still at that age when you can just have it disappear, and after a few days he might forget about it. (Though, perhaps calling it a "sucker" will kill you when you introduce him to the sugar kind later on and he has withdrawls again.)
Good luck, babe.