Thursday, February 12, 2009

cravings

This past Sunday while we were driving home from Moab, I realized that I was starving and I needed something to eat. We were close to Beaver, and for those who don't know, Beaver has dairy farms. And, do you know what the dairy farms make? Squeaky cheese.

I remember my Gramma and Grampa taking us to a dairy farm up in Northern Utah...or was it in Wyoming? I was small, had the attention span of a fly, rode in the back of a station wagon facing the rear, and you wonder why I don't remember where it was we went...go figure.
But, I do remember riding home in the back of the station wagon plugging my ears while devouring squeaky cheese. Manna from heaven. I loved it. And I still do.

And Beaver was right there. We were going to pass right through it...

It was just after midnight (so it was now Monday, therefore not breaking the Sabbath) so we stopped at a gas station and Kyle ran in to get me squeaky cheese. I haven't been so delighted in a long time (oh, wait...I was pretty delighted at acquiring Josie... but this was running a close second).

I love squeaky cheese. I love it so much that I almost downed the entire pound by myself...yes, I'm a glutton... a pregnant glutton...a pregnant glutton who likes squeaky cheese.

However, the midnight binge resulted in me downing 4 tall 16 ounce glasses of water first thing the next morning (squeaky cheese has a high salt content). That's a lot of water...and water weighs a lot...and I had a doctors appointment at 9:00 am.

I downed my last glass at 8:30.

They like to weigh you at every doctors appointment.

I gained 6 pounds.

1 lb for the cheese and a few more from the water.

Here's a question. How do you look your doctor straight in the eye and tell him that he should really only count a 2 pound weight gain for the past 2 weeks and that the other 4 were only gained in the last 8 hours, AND if he would just wait until the water has time to hit your bladder that you're sure you can get rid of 3 of those extra pounds? AND that if he's willing to wait a while longer (like 24-48 hours) you're sure you can get rid of another pound too?

I don't know the answer, cause that's not what I did. I decided to keep what dignity I had and let them count the full 6 pounds without giving such an embarassing explanation.

As I'm laying there and he's checking the baby's heartbeat I start thinking. Next week I'll surprise him! Maybe I'll be able to only put on the suggested 2 lbs. for my next appointment. I'll make sure not to drink the night before and I'll stay away from midnight cravings. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to work off this weeks weight gain and combined with the next two weeks suggested 2 pound gain, I'll drop a pound!

Or, I could drive back to Beaver and get me some more cheese...

I think the baby likes squeaky cheese too.


Then the doctor said that my weight gain looked great this week, and my plans to drive back to Beaver were set.

So, there is one more craving to add to my list for this pregnancy. Apples, cookies-and-cream ice-cream, mashed potatoes (I crave those whether I'm pregnant or not), milk and squeaky cheese.


Mmm, squeaky cheese.

I think I need help.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I had no idea you could get squeaky cheese in a gas station, I thought you had to go to the actual farm, and beg for them to give it to you! We might be in big trouble - where do you suppose the nearest dairy farm gas station is to my house? It just sounds so good. I think my baby like squeaky cheese too. If the baby wants squeaky cheese, who am I to deprive the baby?

Jessica said...

I LOVE squeaky cheese!! Scott doesn't like it, but we still have to stop in Beaver when we go through to get me some. :) I think you and Amy and I and all of us preggo ladies should meet in Beaver and binge on squeaky cheese!

Moab Cozzens said...

I'm with you there. One of the side benefits of pregnancy, and there are so few other than the really cute babe you get at the end, is that you can eat whatever you want for 9 months. Forget the Dr. and his "suggested how much weight you can gain" and eat squeaky cheese!

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

I wish I had a pregnancy to blame my cravings on. I "crave" the chocolate flaky truffles all the time, and Kenny makes fun of me. If only I were pregnant it might be acceptable?

Kari said...

Funny girl. And I like the new photo on top, too. Cute shot. Hope there's room on that masthead for two cuties.