Thursday, February 19, 2009

that's it...I'm never driving again...ever.

I see no problem in walking everywhere that I want to go, right?

I think it really may be the best option. I mean, I'll get plenty of exercise, I'll save loads on gas, and there would be no chance that I would ever spin off the freeway ever again...ever.


Kyle, my sweetheart, drove me to work this past Monday because it was starting to snow and it looked like there would likely be ice on the road by morning. Tuesday morning he picked me up and we headed for home. About 10 miles out of town we hit a stupid patch of black ice and spun off the freeway...this being my second time in 7 months. Luckily, we didn't roll ... I don't care for the rolling. We were able to stay upright while we fishtaled, blasting through a fence and ended with a very bumpy high-speed ride right into a ditch.

We were all very lucky. Everyone is fine, Kyle's fine, Porter's fine, and baby's fine. Me, physically I'm fine...however there is this huge phobia of driving that I seem to have developed...go figure...

And the car is fine too. The 4runner still runs...she has a few scratches where we ran through the fence, but other than that she's okay. She did have to suck up her pride and be towed out of the ditch, but I think she'll get over it.

Twice in the same year seems like a little too much...two times too much. In fact, I'm now 24 years old and I have been in 2 car accidents due to road conditions. My unborn son has also been in 2 car accidents due to road conditions and he hasn't even left the womb. I think we've both hit our lifetime limit.

I need to figure out how to avoid this again...

So, I think I need to buy a plow. I don't believe I have ever seen a plow that has rolled, or spun off the freeway. Nobody gets angry if they have to pass a plow that's going slower than the speed limit because they are the ones plowing the road. I may have a lot of people who follow behind me, but if someone decides to pass me and they spin out in front of me, that's okay because I'm a plow and I can just push them off to the side of the road...no harm done.

Plus, as a bonus, I can plow my road whenever it snows and repay the nice kind man who takes our trash out weekly and the other kind man who plows our driveway with his 4 wheeler. I think it's a win-win situation.

I need to be a plow.


Until then I'm gonna walk. I have no intention of purposefully climbing into my car and driving it again...at least not in the near future.

Porter on the other hand doesn't seem to have been even slightly phased by the accident. He is still ecstatic to go on "a yide" in the car.

He has so much to learn.

10 comments:

Angie said...

I think it's a sign. God is telling you that you should not be living in one city and driving 50+ miles to another city to work.
I've thought you were crazy for a long time...now God agrees with me!
You should probably start listening to one of us. :)

The Johnsons said...

I'm glad everyone is alright, I would be walking too.

Jessica said...

Ha ha, I think your plow idea is genius. Everybody is happy to see a plow, no matter how slow you're going! I'm glad you guys are all okay--that sounds so scary!

Gramma M said...

I think it's the false sense of security you feel in a small town and wide open spaces. Clearly, subconsciously, neither you nor Kyle is adjusting well to that!! I think you need to move back up here where you don't have to handle so much open road!!

Amy said...

Amen to the plow. Also I think I'm siding with Angie, and you should move back up here where you belong. PLUS then we can have more game nights. Deal?

Whitehead Family Fun said...

Glad everyone is okay, I spun out a few weeks ago while driving and I am now terrified to get on the freeway. Let me know how you get over your phobia, maybe it will work for me :) I agree lets walk every where.

Ellen James said...

Oh my goodness, you poor thing! I can't even believe that has happened twice to you. Crazy. Glad you are OK. :)

Kari said...

Ditto, Momma. Drop the country life and move back to civilization. Where they have other people to drive the snow plows and you don't have to buy your own.

Kimbrey-Daniel said...

Wow.. you guys have some bad luck with the cars. Glad your all ok and hope your luck picks up :)

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

Glad you guys are ok. Does that mean you are going to move over here, you know, just a little closer to the place that you work, so you won't have to drive but a few minutes to get there? Please?