Thursday, February 26, 2009

discovery

This past weekend was simply beautiful. We decided we shouldn't waste our Saturday inside, so we headed out to find something we hadn't seen in this city. We wanted to find a cool park if we could...and let me tell you, our city has one of the coolest parks imaginable. I'm so glad we found it before this summer. There will be many days spent at this park in the coming months...I can feel it.

It's a gigantic wooden park that was donated to the city by hundreds of establishments/doctors/businesses/wealthy people in the community and everyone who donated (I don't know how big the donation had to be) has their names carved into the wood all over the playground.

It's enclosed with only two entrances to the park, and if you have your child playing in the little kids area, there is only one way in and out. I'm sure that they had to restrict entrances due to the intricate winding walkways underneath all of the structures...I'm sure there's been more than one child who got out of their parents sight...but that's why there are only the two entrances.

Porter loved it. Every minute of it...and I have to admit so did I.

Porter really enjoyed the slides and he'll go down them all by himself (unless they are covered... he likes to see where he's going).
The bumpy green one was a particular favorite.


They have all sorts of things built out of wood...a shuttle...cars/jeeps...boats, etc.

In the shuttle they have a metal telephone from the top level to the bottom level. Kyle went inside the bottom level to talk to Porter, but he had to speak so loud to make the sound come through that you could hear him just fine through the floorboards. Porter finally realized that Kyle was just underneath him, so he sprawled out on the floor of the shuttle to look at his Daddy and yell things at him. He started pointing behind him trying to tell Kyle something that was incredibly important...but the kid speaks in code...and neither of us understood the message.

He had a fun time driving the jeep too. From the inside...


and from the outside.They have swings too...including a large tire swing...large enough for an 8 month pregnant chick.
Oh yeah, I don't recommend that if you are 8 months pregnant that you should climb into a tire swing because there is a time when you have to climb out...Kyle was nice enough not to document such a thing with a photo, but I assure you...it was a sight to see.They had sandboxes and climbing walls and a little amphitheatre and so many more things that I can't list them all. But we had fun...And, after a long day...we came home to clean the house a little bit. I stripped our bed of our sheets and I threw the pillows on the couch to febreeze them. Porter found this to be the perfect place to watch a little Cars before it was time for bed. I think we wore him out. And vice versa.

5 comments:

Kari said...

It tuckered me out just to read about it. Looks like fun.

Amy said...

So. Dang. Cute. :) Glad you found this little gem!

Gramma M said...

Oh, he is SO cute...looks quite comfy there with good friend Miles!!

Moab Cozzens said...

O.K., now I am officially homesick. Sitting here in an internet cafe typing on a strange French keyboard and seeing cute pictures of our cute family, I think it is time to come home

Kimbrey-Daniel said...

Oh how fun! I wish we had a playground like that. Although I must admit, it's kinda nice to have a playground in our front yard.