Thursday, June 19, 2008

And the Winner is?

So, the doctor called this morning.

He started into how Porter has a low milk allergy, and since he tolerates milk so well already, he will most likely outgrow that.

(He was prepping me for something worse. I could tell.)

The past several days I have been wondering what it would be like if he was allergic to nuts or eggs. I've tried to imagine how that would change our way of life. Not much. I could totally handle a nut allergy. Eggs, done. No problem. Let me have it Mister Physician.

However, the discussion took a turn I wasn't quite ready for, and hadn't really thought of.


"Your son is allergic to something that is in almost every household. It exists in almost all processed foods. It tastes wonderful. This is not only going to turn Porter's life around, but yours as well. You won't even know what happened to you. He will most likely come in contact with it daily. In fact, I bet you probably have it sitting out right at this moment on your kitchen counter and if it fell off and Porter grabbed some you would have to rush him to the ER immediately. In fact, you've heard of the "bubble boy" right? Well, that's your son. Go out and buy him a large plastic bubble this instant, put him in it and never look back!"

Well, maybe it's not exactly what was said, but it's amazing how one sentence of "Porter's allergic to wheat." can sound like so much more.

I never would have guessed that Porter was allergic to wheat. But, wheat it is.

As of today, Porter is on a gluten free diet. It is possible for Porter to outgrow this allergy (that's what we're hoping for). We know that he's had several wheat products with no reactions. In fact he was eating wheat products today before I got the call. But, until further tests are done and we find out the extent of his allergy, no wheat for Porter.

But, I've decided it's a good thing. It's good to know what it is that causes these trips to the ER at 11:00 at night. I know now how to prevent it. Sure, it will be a big change, but Porter's young enough right now that he won't even know the difference. And, there's a 50% chance that he will grow out of it. All good things.

In the meantime, my boy is happy, healthy and not swollen! And his momma's happy. And his daddy's happy.

4 comments:

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

We love you Porter! Hope all turns out well, and your mom and dad don't have to give up cake and cookies!!

Unknown said...

Bummer. We'll cross our fingers that his little body stops disliking wheat.
Great photo, by the way. Love it!
And, you I love, too!

Kari said...

It's all good. He's just got to keep you on your toes. Love you, babe.

And that shot--well, that just makes everything better. Seriously good eye, my dear.

Karen said...

I have 2 cousins, brothers, who both married girls with celiac's. My cousin, Tommy, on my blog, his wife has it and has info and I think recipes on her blog. I know you are a nurse, but she may have some additional things to suggest because she has lived with it for so long. I can get her email address for you! And she, and my other cousin-in-law, bakes a lot with rice flour. I'm not sure what the taste difference is, but Megan could tell you. Good luck!