Thursday, June 12, 2008

Porter's been a little under the weather.

So, I had an experience last week and again this week that I think would have qualified for "hazing" in terms of joining the "mom" club. Let me share.
Last week, I had just finished with a LONG night shift and I was VERY tired. I came home and corralled Porter in the front room again so I could get a little sleep.
Porter got more than a little fussy, so I figured he might be tired and I picked him up and laid him on my chest. Sure enough he started to doze off. Then I heard a "Bleccchhhh" (that's how you spell vomit in case you didn't know). I came to a quick realization that curdled milk vomit is quite possibly the most disgusting thing in the world. Just as that realization occured I heard another "Bleccchhhh" only this time, Porter was gracious enough to have scooted his little body further down my body and now I had the curdled milk all over my stomach. Porter had ground his face into my stomach and as I tried to sit him up so that he wouldn't get it all over himself I got one more "Bleccchhh" which was positioned right over my lap.

I was now covered from chest to the top of my legs in the most disgusting wetness that I have ever experienced.

I tried very hard not to get any on my rug or my couch as I picked up Porter to rush him into a bathtub. I also quickly changed my shirt so I wouldn't drag vomit across my house. I got into the bathroom, stripped him down and as I removed his diaper there was this explosion. There was poop everywhere and Porter, thinking it was great, grabbed a handful.

I quickly picked him up and rushed him over to the sink to wash off his hand before his poop-filled grasp could make it's way onto my walls, floor or even worse... his mouth. Without thinking, I propped him up between the counter and myself to wash his hand at the sink. It was at this point that poop joined the mix on the front of me. I can't really complain, I was the one that put his soiled little hiney against my stomach, but I have to say it was at this point that I just about cried.

After getting his hand sanitized and his little bottom wiped off, I tossed him in a tub to scrub him down and he started giggling. As I was sitting at the side of the tub with him laughing and giggling at me I smiled. I knew that I was happy to be a mom. The work isn't always the most glamorous, but it's so rewarding. The darling little boy in front of me made it all so worth it...
...and then he smiled and peed all down the front of me.

6 comments:

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

Oh my goodness, I just laughed and laughed reading that. I have had a couple of experiences lately that are frighteningly similar to that! I just want to say, when it's curdled milk, yeah it's bad. But when milk is mized with grapes and chicken strips and cranberry juice, and it's been sitting in the stomach for several hours fermeting, it's really really bad.

Kari said...

Welcome to the club--we've got jackets. Or rain slickers, rather. It sounds like I'm just a smidge late in getting yours shipped off.

And I second the motion. Curdled milk may very well be the worst liquid/solid/substance on the face of the planet.

Rory, Trina, Katy, and Trey said...

That is seriously funny! I've been covered in vomit and urine, but the poop did me in!

Kimbrey said...

I know thats not really funny and trust me I've had days somewhat similar and I NEVER think it funny, but after that whole story reading the very last line just made me lose it. I laughed and laughed (sorry- I do feel bad for you!)

Moab Cozzens said...

Oh, the joys of motherhood. And there are SO many. It's so nice when you can see the bright side and recognize that they are JOYS - really, they are. One question though, why don't these joys happen to the DADS??

Karen said...

You deserve a big piece of chocolate and a dr. pepper for all that!