Tuesday, October 7, 2008

16 Weeks!

I have a belly at 16 weeks! What's up with that? I didn't get a belly until I was much farther along last time. However, it's still not the kind of belly that looks like a pregnant belly, I just look like I've had a few too many servings of ice-cream at this point.

But, the baby is starting to move around in there, and in only 2 weeks we get to find out whether we are having a boy or girl! I can't believe how quickly this pregnancy is moving along!


It's already going by so quickly, I've already moved into the second trimester (which is so much better than the first if you ask me). I'm not as exhausted all the time and I don't have to pee every 10 minutes. The best part though, is that most of the food aversions are gone and I can eat almost anything! Beef is still riding high on the Not-on-Your-Life list, but if it's ground beef and it's mixed in something, I can tolerate that (like your yummy lasagna Jill, I'm going to make that tonight cause it was so yummy).


In fact, I've started in the other direction and started having cravings. I have been cooking like mad this past weekend making just about anything and everything that has sounded tasty (maybe that IS where the belly is coming from). I made Poppyseed Chicken, Mom's Sweet Potatoes (they were soooo nummy), and last but not least...Gramma F.'s Oatmeal Cake. This last one comes with a bit of a story.


I love Gramma's Oatmeal Cake...it's to die for. It's so heavenly, you might even say it's ambrosial. I could eat the whole thing myself (hence the reason I had to make it on a weekend when my in-laws were in town so that I wouldn't devour the whole darn thing).


So, I set out to make Oatmeal Cake on Saturday night. I've made it once before, but to make sure that I didn't ruin it, I called Mom multiple times while preparing it to make sure that it would come out perfect.


I put the delicious smelling cake in the oven, and sat down for dinner, the cake would be ready in 30 minutes. 30 long minutes.


The buzzer went off and I ran to the oven, the smell was already overwhelming. When I opened the oven I found this...


the cake had boiled over the edges of the pan and was dripping onto the bottom of my oven. I called for Kyle to come help me take it out, and we tried to figure out what had gone wrong. In the meantime, I dug out part of the oatmeal soup and put it in a smaller pan thinking I would just bake the two of them. This is what they looked like when I called my Mommy back.

We sat on the phone for 10 minutes trying to figure out what had gone wrong. Never had she had this problem. Kyle mentioned that it seemed as though I had used too much baking soda, but I know that I put in the appropriate amount. At that moment my Mom asked, "Any chance you used self-rising flour?"

About 2 months ago I made a Blackberry Cobbler that used self-rising flour. I had never used it before so when I bought it, I bought a small sack of it.

When I reached in my cupboard to grab the flour, I grabbed the smaller bag thinking it would be good to finish it off first and wondering why I had two bags of opened flour in my cupboard. I should have wondered a little harder.

Never you fear, an hour and half later I was dining on a wonderful Oatmeal Cake. I decided that it was delicious enough to make another and throw the old one(s) out. Let me tell you it was all worth it.

Oh, and I'm throwing out my bag of self-rising flour.

5 comments:

Gramma M said...

Can't believe self-rising flour would make such a difference, but obviously it does!!

...and the belly DOES SO look like "pregnancy belly." If ya want to know what the "other" kind looks like, I'm luggin' around a perfect example!! (but I ain't takin' a picture of mine!)

Moab Cozzens said...

I noticed that pregnancy belly on Sunday and thought it looked so cute! And you're right, the Oatmeal Cake was worth the 1 1/2 hr wait. It was so delicious.

Amy said...

You probably just don't realize it because you've never had a "normal un-pregnant belly" but it's not nearly as cute as the one pictured here. If that is your belly (and I believe it is....) it looks cute and pregnant. :)

I love you!

Jessica said...

Your belly is cute and totally does look preggers!

Kimbrey-Daniel said...

Your looking really cute! Can't wait to find out boy or girl!